Last week it was our pleasure to travel to the republic of Zambia (formerly Northern Rhodesia) and introduce to them the Perpetual Education Fund. What an honor for us...to bring this great program to these folks that have patiently waited for all of the diplomatic, legal, educational, banking and administrative details to get done. We arrived in Lusaka on Friday, via South Africa Airways and immediately began meetings. We met with two North American missionary couples who are based there, along with the District President for the Lusaka District and the Church Education director, who is from Zimbabwe. Saturday we had a 2.5 hour orientation meeting with the seven Branch presidencies followed by a 3 hour training and orientation with a large group of young people who intend on using
PEF to further their studies. These are really quality people who we were delighted to meet with and deliver this great program into their land. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the building on Saturday morning there was no power in that part of town, so the masterful
powerpoint that I had put together for the morning training session was unusable, but we carried on and it all went well. Power outages are quite commonplace in Africa and there is really never a convenient time to be without power, but the people here just roll with it. The following pictures capture but a few of the happy moments and the great friends that we met while spending a few days in Zambia.

Lusaka International Airport. Quite dated and very hot...but adequate

Our morning session with no lights,
powerpoint or air conditioning and it was 34 degrees that day! (about mid 90'
sF)

Us with District President Harrison M
Lumbama and Stake President
Tasara Makasi
Us with Elder & Sister Patterson (Lusaka District) and Elder & Sister
Esplin (
Kitwe District)

Jim meeting with the new
PEF Committee that will see to the success of the program in Zambia

Power on in second session! but still a perspiring Elder Von
Stetten. That was bottle of water #2

Here are the future recipients of the
PEF. They were some of the nicest and most grateful young people that I have ever met. The two hour meeting went to 3 hours to be able to answer all of their questions. How exciting for us to be there...but wow how exciting for them and their posterity.

Power still on...air conditioning beginning to work...water bottle #3

The first 10
PEF loan recipients with President
LumbamaMothers Without Borders
After church on Sunday we drove about an hour outside of Lusaka to an orphanage run by a Utah family known as Mother;s Without Borders. There are 23 children there right now. Here is a picture of
Reenie with little Alice. She is a very tiny 5 years old, due to her health. She is HIV positive and has struggled with Malaria. She went to
Reenie straight away and clung to her during our 2 hour visit there.

Here are the boys who had just finished a good game of soccer when we arrived. These guys have very tough feet!

Alice again. She probably will not live very long, however is happy and getting loved. Be happy for these children. They are more fortunate than many others in that they have someone to care for their shelter, food and
well being. There are many many who wander the country and scavenge for daily bread.

This picture says it all...

...and so does this one.

The mostly completed dormitory and kitchen where anywhere from 8 to 30 children live at a time. The construction is done by North American volunteers who come here a month at a time to build.

Here is the result of their last
visit. A much welcomed and used jungle gym for the kids.

The mother hen and her little chicks.

Fresh
mangos...soon. These will be ready in about 45 days.

These kids walk 1.5 hours to their school every morning and then 1.5 hours back at night. Soon there will be a school built at the orphanage. Free time is spent playing '
futball'. You can see that the ball gets well used! If any of you feel inclined to donate something to this cause their website is
http://www.motherswithoutborders.org/
The shadows became long and the time for us to leave had come. When one is in the service of his fellow man, the bonds of love and friendship are formed fast and firm. It was a difficult thing to part from these strong custodians and these orphaned children, but we left knowing they were better off than most in their similar condition due to the generosity of a family 12,000 miles away.
"Education is the great engine to personal development. It is through education that the daughter of a peasant can become a doctor, that the son of a mine worker can become the head of the mine and the child of farm workers can become the president of a great nation. It is what we make of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another."
Nelson Mandela
6 comments:
Your heart must be so full knowing the tremendous good you are doing and how grateful so many people are who are the recipients of your efforts. And there are generations yet unborn who will benefit from this inspired program and your part in it. Keep up the good work, but stay healthy and safe. We admire you so.
Teared up a couple times reading this post and still have a lump in my throat. A good kind of lump. Not a sad one. Alice was in every picture that Reenie was in! So sweet. So wonderful for those children and for the PEF recipients...how exciting. I would have a very hard time leaving that orphanage. I can imagine your feelings having to say good-bye.
On another note. I was able to stay up late with your daughter, Brielle, last night. On the phone of course. We laughed until I cried. Dave went to bed while we waited up for Brock to get home from Elk hunting. We had a nice long visit and said good night at 1:00 am her time. Just in time to hear Brock's Elk call...which by the way if you haven't heard it, it is definitely Skype worthy. Still laughing today over all our silliness last night. I love your family!
Thanks for the update. Keep them coming and keep up the good work. You are both so lucky to be serving the Lord in such a humble and touching place.
Okay, can Alice come to my house? I would love her so much as well as all those other children! I don't know how you guys are able to say goodbye at the end of the day? I would really struggle with that one. I am so happy for those people of Zambia finally able to have PEF come to them and MY PARENTS were the ones that brought it there. How cool is that? Pretty cool I must say. I am so proud of you guys and am so happy you are sharing your stories on here so we can all feel a glimpse of the spirit you guys get to feel every single day. I love it so much. I can sure say there is nothing like the gospel of Jesus Christ!
Wow. This post made me tear up a bunch. How I love little Alice and all of the other kids. I agree with April and Brielle - I too would have a hard time saying goodbye.
I just love the pictures.
I just love you both and are so proud of you. It is such an incredible thing that you are doing and it will empower generations to come.
I really enjoyed your recent posts. I cannot believe how busy you are and how much you are accomplishing. It is really exciting that you were able to go to Zambia and open PEF. The photos are great of all the different service projects you are involved in. I would love to be a part of something like that one day. Alice is so cute and I feel so much gratitude for the health of my children when I contemplate that there are so many like Alice and even worse off. I'm sure that mom's love and affection will always be a sweet moment and memory for this little girl. You both a blessing and comfort to these kids. I love the photo of dad with the kids :o) I love you both and am happy you are able to be there and help.
Dear Elder & Sis. Stetten,
Someone sent us your blog sometime ago, and we anticipate viewing it each month. Thank you so much for your wonderful insights on Africa. This post was the icing on the cake! Your visit to our beloved Zambia brought tears to our eyes. It brought back so many wonderful memories of our serving in Lusaka for 18 months. It was great to see President Lumbama. He was a Branch president during our tenure. The young PEF recipients were just kids when we left, and it was fun to see Peter and some of the rest. The dorms at the "Farm" have been built since we returned home. I am sure that the same spirit that we felt there still exists. Thank you for your service to these wonderful people, and for sharing Africa with us.
Love, Glen & Rachel Gubler, St. George, UT
Post a Comment