Wednesday, October 1, 2008

415 Hillside Drive


Tonight is our last night in the place we have called home for over 12 years, longer than we have lived anywhere else. This Friday we will sell the house where we have had so many good times, birthdays, Sunday family dinners, my parents 60th wedding reception, family Christmas' and so much more. This has been a nice house and a great home. I leave the 275 foot rock wall that I built by hand, with some reluctance, knowing that no matter where we live after Africa, I will NEVER be able to build such a structure again! It is hard to leave, but we were blessed to sell it in one day with such a troubled housing market, and get a very fair price. The movers have come and gone and the house is empty. Things are becoming very real now. It has been a time filled with emotions, but we know that we are on the right course and that we will soon be helping others who would never ever dream of owning such a home. We have really been fortunate to have been given so much and we have the memories to take with us.

14 comments:

April Kennedy said...

You had me at "tonight". The lump in the throat, the tears coming up to the ducts. I didn't know you were selling, but Dave and I wondered often, just forgot to ask. We, too, have some fun memories there. Actually me more than Dave since I came to visit while Dave was in Kuwait while I was pregnant and Brittany, she pregnant too, and I ate you out of house and home. I never realized ham and green beans could taste soooo good. Good Luck. We will keep you in our prayers during this transition time but know you will be strong, peaceful and fine. Can't wait for the updates from Elder and Sister VonStetten! It has a nice ring to it...don't you agree. Love you guys - seriously - more than you know.

Brielle said...

Okay, after reading this post I just can't stop crying. I agree that you guys were very blessed to be able to sell it at a time like this but I think right now I am more sad. I loved that house, a ton of memories were made there that will never be forgotten. I love you guys so much.

Anonymous said...

Awww...memories. I love you two so much and your family also. You will be greatly missed and so will the visits from the kids, as now I will only get to see pictures, rather than them in person for a while... but I guess it is the same for you. I am sooo HAPPY for you though!!! I, too, will be praying for you and know you will be greatly blessed for the work you will be doing. With love~

The Gang said...

Wow- I needed to go get a tissue! Your family has opened your hearts and your home to me and I feel blessed to be a part of the Von Stetten clan! Brian and I have many mixed emotions- you will be missed dearly!

Anonymous said...

yes, I can't believe that the house is sold.... I feel homeless.. where is "home"?? I definately think of 415 as my home and will miss it. I think it will really hit me when I come back east and my key doesn't work...

I love the house and will miss it but I know that you'll create another home, maybe not as big, but the same feeling will be there when you get back.

Dad... I think that you took too much liberty in saying you built that rock wall all by yourself... if I remember correctly... I was there, by your side.. stone for stone :O)

The Edwards Clan said...

I already did my crying over you two for the week on Sunday, but.... :o) You definitely had a beautiful house, but it was the HOME that made it wonderful. The love and spirit that filled those walls because of YOU will follow wherever you go...to Africa and wherever else you go. Four years ago my parents sold the house that I'd lived in my whole life. It was heartbreaking for me. But, I soon realized that wherever my parents lived would still be "home" to me. Now when I visit them at their place it's not the house that I grew up in, but it is still home because of the people there and the love that fills that space.

We're so glad we could share a little bit of your "last night". I hope you realize how special you are to our kids. They've developed a little bond with you two -- like "extra grandparents" or something. They don't just warm up to and hug anyone. You are a very special couple. I can't wait to follow your mission on this blog...and to welcome you "home" when you return.

O family said...

wow, I got a little teary there. I bet that it is hard for you to leave the house, but like many have said, your "home" is made by the warmth and love that you both bring into it. I know that where ever you two land will become "home".

emlizalmo said...

I never even got to see this house. :( I still think of you guys over by the Dover chapel. Man, that was a long time ago. You 2 are going to be so amazing in Africa. SO amazing. I hope they're ready for you. Love you both!

Lady said...

So many memories in that house. Such a familiar route to drive. So weird that I won't be driving it anymore. So inspired by your sacrifice to serve others. As much as i will miss you - I wouldn't want it any other way. Come home safe. Hopefully we'll see you there.

Pam Headlee said...

Elder & Sister Von Stetten,
When everyone reads your blog about South Africa they will be lining up to come join you! It is VERY wonderful here and you will have an AMAZING experience! There are many other missionary couples here and we become quite close to one another. Your family should know that you will be safe and well taken care of! When you call on Skype your kids will not even realize that you are half-way around the world as you call them! You have much to look forward to... and we all anxiously await your arrival here! We have been here just 6 months and it seems like one month. -Sister Pam Headlee

Alycia said...

I was excited to see you listed as a link on Brielle's blog. Thank you for always opening up your home to me while I was young. I always felt the Spirit in your home. I won't miss the bees that lived behind your house! :-) Good luck on your mission! I am anxious to read all about it!

Shez Family said...

Jim and Reenie,
We wish you the best of luck. I remember all the good times that I had with your family in the house and it brings tears to my eyes to see that chapter end. I wish you a safe and happy 2 years. Here is our blog so you can see lots of pics of Curren while you are on your adventure! Love, Jamie
http://shesniakfamily.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

I didn't know you were going on a mission!! How terrific! Wow, Africa. There are a lot of lucky people just waiting to meet you two and interact with you. I love this blog and will now check it for news. Love you two.

Anonymous said...

Nice story about your house. This is a very teary time for everyone-so I shall not enlarge on that subject. However, we loved having you so close and will miss you both more than you will ever know. Mom

 
<BGSOUND loop='true' src='http://purefunction.net/africahelper/dancingwiththelion.mp3'></BGSOUND>